Welcome

Welcome to my Western Pennsylvania garden. Join me on a "Walk Down the Garden Path".

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Ooooooooo Went the Wind...

"Ooooooooo went the wind. And out went the lights. And five little pumpkins, rolled out of sight." These lines are from one of my daughters books. You may wonder why I am quoting children's books. One reason is I am at the library. The other is, that is exactly what happened the other night as Ike raced North.

Although Ike went up through Ohio, we got blasted in Western PA with up to 79 mph winds. It was amazing how the trees were bending in the wind. Luckily we didn't have any damage to the house. Just some branches down right around the house. Up in the back of our property is a different story. There are several trees down and it will take a strong effort to get that cleaned up.

Of course, I have no pictures to show you at this time because we have no power. And it's not expected to be back on until maybe Thursday or Friday morning. I hope I am pleasantly surprised when I get home to find us connected to the power grid again, but I'm not holding my breath. In the meantime, we have our generator to keep the freezer and refrigerator good and cold. And since we have a well, we need it for the pump to work so we have water. These are the main things. With electricity I would be able to connect at home, but we haven't phone or internet either.

It could have been worse. It's just a few days of inconvenience. Once I'm back online, I'll be catching up with everyone and posting some pictures. I hope you are all safe and sound.

6 comments:

DP Nguyen said...

Yikes! I hope you get your power back on. And soon!

tina said...

Ooooo! Love your opening. That so totally stinks to lose the power! I hope you are surprised when you get home too.

Cindy said...

Woo Hoo! We had power again when I got home from the library! I'm still getting caught up with everything from putting away extension cords, the forced defrosting of our little refrigerator, Monday chores, etc. But I won't be turning on light switches to no avail anymore.

Tina ~ that book she has is just so cute and those lines just stick in my head. I had to use them.

tina said...

Glad you got power!

TC said...

It was rough here too Cindy, we were out of power for all of Sunday night, but it was back on around 2:30am Monday mornin. We were lucky with no wind damage other than a few downed limbs.

I'm glad y'all are safe, and having a generator is a plus.

Cindy said...

TC ~ I was thinking of you, I figured you had it pretty bad too. I'm glad you're ok and not too much damage.
After Ivan came through a few years ago (I'm sure you remember) we got the generator. Our sump pumps have to work hard every time it rains and we don't want our basement filling with water, so it's peace of mind for us.