Welcome

Welcome to my Western Pennsylvania garden. Join me on a "Walk Down the Garden Path".

Monday, July 14, 2008

The Kohlrabi and The Mystery Squash

Many years ago, my sister Michelle gave me this cookbook for my birthday - "Garden Way's Joy of Gardening Cookbook" by Janet Ballantyne. Then one time when I was moving, I lost it. I knew it at the time and I searched and searched for it but I never did find it. So I had to buy another copy, because this is the most awesome cookbook if you are a vegetable gardener. It has a section for every vegetable you can imagine, with so many different types of recipes. If I am inundated with any one thing, I just go here and get some new ideas. I use it so much in the summertime.

Which brings me to the kohlrabi. I always plant a few kohlrabies because my husband really likes them. Several were ready to be picked last week, so I now have them in the house. A lot of times we will just eat them raw with salt, but I was looking for something different. So I pulled out my cookbook and found several saute recipes. Below is the one I chose to make and it was delicious.

Kohlrabi Basil Saute
from Garden Way's Joy of Gardening Cookbook by Janet Ballantyne

2 Tablespoons olive oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 Tablespoons minced fresh basil
1 Tablespoon minced shallot
1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
1/2 cup diced sweet red pepper
4 cups diced kohlrabies

Heat the oil in a large saute pan and add all the ingredients. Saute for 8-10 minutes, or until the kohlrabies are tender. Serve at once.




We also ate the mystery squash. To me it is a cross between a white pumpkin and a patty pan squash, and it was edible. I peeled it because the skin was tough, but not really thick. Then I sliced, marinated, and grilled it. I left the seeds in because they didn't seem too big or too many, but I think next time I would take them out.

I love fresh from the garden meals, don't you ?


5 comments:

tina said...

I have never eaten kohlrbi but may try it out soon thanks to everyone posting about it. It looks delicious!

Cindy said...

I've never thought of it this way, but the book I have describes it as a cross between a turnip and a cabbage. And now I can attest that it is good both raw and cooked. :-)

DP Nguyen said...

Wow, what a delicious sounding meal. I'll have to try it sometime.

Sarah said...

We had kohlrabi for the first time last year from our farm share. This year we planted it in our garden, but it is not yet ready. The cookbook we have found indispensable for "what do I do with this?" is Vegetables Every Day by Jack Bishop. We can't wait to try your kohlrabi recipe!

Cindy said...

Sarah - I will definitely have to check out that book. I'm always looking for new ways to make things.